Monday, June 15, 2015

Stubborn and Skilled

Let me tell you about my son.
Last year, when he was 7, we enrolled him in a beginners gymnastics course.  He had fun.  He had so much fun that he started attempting backflips on my bed.  Then he started on attempting a handstand starting from sitting split legged .  He just kept doing it and doing it until he was able to nail it.


At the gymastics lesson that we initially signed him up for, they had a parent observation on the final day of the course, where parents could enter the gym to observe their child go through their routines that the coach had taught them.  Based on my observation of his routines, he was 2nd best out of his group, and the only reason he wasn't the best out of his group was because the boy who was was better than him was also older and had taken more lessons than him.  And I know that he was having fun because he watched him talk to all the other boys in his group, and laugh with them the whole time.  He was having fun, dammit!!

This boy shows dedication, or so I thought as I watched I watched him practice.  I then showed him a video of an aerial cartwheel on youtube.  He then tried to do the same thing in our back yard.  He tried and tried many times, but didn't have the technique quite right.  So later on, I asked him to sign up for a more advanced gymastics lesson at a different gymnastics club, so that he could learn all the proper techniques for the aerial cartwheel, backflip, front flip, etc.  To my dismay, he told me he didn't want to take any more gymnastics lessons.
WTF ????
Why oh why hast thou brought such wretched frustration upon my soul?
I tried to reason with him, but unfortunately, he inheirited my stubbornness.  And his rebuttal was sharp too - he told me he is happy with his current level of skill, and does not feel the need to better himself.
So now I am left debating whether to just sign him up for the lessons anyways, and deal with him being angry with me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment